THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Finance Specialist 1, Grade 18 (PEF)
Education Finance Specialist Trainee, SG-NS
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services (ACCES) is seeking candidates to fill an Education Finance Specialist 1 position in the Fiscal and Administrative Services Team. The incumbent of this position will work under the supervision of an Associate Accountant and will assist with oversight of financial activities and operations. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare budget updates for ACCES programs including Adult Education, High School Equivalency, Proprietary School Supervision, and Vocational Rehabilitation;
- Track and analyze spending from federal and State sources;
- Review and approve payments ensuring they are accurate and in compliance;
- Audit, process, and track claims and vouchers;
- Handle miscellaneous fiscal, budget, and administrative projects which involve interaction with other ACCES and SED staff;
- Prepare end-of-the-fiscal-period financial transactions to ensure that all federal and State funds are fully expended;
- Assist with the review and preparation of required federal reporting;
- Assist with the development and/or negotiation of Requests for Proposals (RFPs), Invitations for Bids (IFBs), Sole/Single Source Procurements, and other related financial documents;
- Prepare documents and materials to support new contracts and contract amendments including reviewing budget modifications and contract amendments to determine the fiscal impact to ensure continued compliance with applicable regulations;
- Review proposed contracts for fiscal and programmatic accuracy, adherence to State policy, compatibility with agency programs and goals, availability of funds and appropriateness of rates;
- Follow up on proposed contracts throughout the approval process with internal reviewers and external approval agencies;
- Provide technical assistance to ACCES staff and vendors on statutes, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Manage equipment maintenance agreements including adding and/or removing equipment from the agreement as needed and processing quarterly payments;
- Monitor the voucher payment process for assigned contracts and ensure voucher audits are processed in a manner consistent with contractual payment provisions;
- Prepare ad hoc analysis or reporting for any issues, questions, or requests for information from key internal and external stakeholders;
- Supervise clerical staff responsible for reviewing high risk vouchers for processing in mainframe system, tracking refund checks, independent living center expenditure reports and contract payment reports;
- Assist vendors with missing billing reports; and
- Complete special assignments and projects, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Finance Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1 if they have a standing on the Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list AND possess a bachelor’s degree AND are currently a New York State employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or higher.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating unit may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Transfers to the Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1 and appointments from the PATT or the PCO lists require successful completion of a two-year traineeship which leads to the title of Education Finance Specialist 1, SG-18.
The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Finance Specialist 1, SG-18. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Education Finance Specialist Trainee 1 starts at $42,143 and, for current NYS employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $70,566 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 23, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2009) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.