THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Credentials Specialist 3, Grade 27 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions is seeking candidates for an Education Credentials Specialist 3 position in the Bureau of Comparative Education. This Office assists the Board of Regents and the Department in the educational review of licensure applicants in the 50+ professions governed under Title 8 of Education Law. Under the general direction of the Bureau Chief, the duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for the coordination and development of processes to ensure that education credentials are evaluated in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with Bureau guidelines;
- Provide leadership and direction to Education Credentials Specialist 2s and Education Specialist 1s;
- Oversee the work of Education Credentials Specialist 2s and Education Credentials Specialist 1s evaluation of pre-professional and professional education and training, including making determinations in the most complex cases;
- Determine if alternative documentation may be accepted in lieu of direct verification;
- Make final determinations regarding authenticity of education documents in exception or problem cases;
- Direct the preparation of all licensing petitions for consideration by the Committee on the Professions and/or Board of Regents and notify applicants and Department staff of the decisions;
- Advise other state, national, and non-governmental agencies concerning the policies, procedures and practices of the Bureau;
- Oversee the conduct of research and preparation of reports for topics related to the Bureau’s functions; and
- Assume responsibility for the Bureau’s operation in the absence of the Bureau Chief.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in any of the following titles: Associate in Professional Education or Associate in Teacher Education.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of the New York State Education Department and have had at least one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as an Education Credentials Specialist 2. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Credentials Specialist 3 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This is a permanent competitive or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Salary leads to $111,316 through annual performance reviews.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 28, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1252/13645) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.