THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Credentials Specialist 2, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Higher Education is seeking candidates for an Education Credentials Specialist 2 position in the Office of Teaching Initiatives. The primary function of the Office of Teaching Initiatives is to process educator certificate applications. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise and train staff who evaluate educator certificate applications and communicate with applicants, ensuring that their evaluations and communications are performed in an accurate, complete, consistent, and timely manner;
- Understand, interpret, and employ applicable NYS Education Law, Commissioner’s Regulations, and office policies and procedures;
- Develop policies and procedures related to educator certification requirements and office work flow in consultation with the Director and communicate them to the office staff and/or BOCES Regional Certification Officers;
- Address inquiries from certificate applicants, schools, school districts, BOCES, teacher organizations, higher education personnel, the Office of Governmental Relations, and other entities or department offices;
- Review and evaluate certificate applications in response to inquiries and as requested;
- Remove and correct data entry errors in the TEACH online certificate application system;
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Credentials Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Education Credentials Specialist 2 Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Professional Education or Assistant in Teacher Education.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Credentials Specialist 1. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Credentials Specialist 2 when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent appointment or a non-permanent provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Education Credentials Specialist 2 when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 3, 2020 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-741/14626) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.