THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Education Credentials Specialist 1, Grade 18 (PEF)
Education Credentials Specialist Trainee 1, NS (Equated to SG-13)
The New York State Education Department’s (SED) Office of the Professions (OP) is seeking candidates for the position of Education Credentials Specialist 1 in the Division of Licensing Services (DPLS). The incumbent of this position will review and evaluate applications for compliance with New York State requirements and oversee the work of subordinate staff to assess applicant and professional practice entity eligibility for licensure or authorization. Other duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Interpret and explain Education Law, rules and regulations, and SED policies for staff, the public and other State agencies, in consultation with OP leadership and attorneys;
- Assist unit supervisors and other internal and external partners to resolve complex DPLS credentialing issues;
- Provide advice and assist supervisors in planning, organizing, scheduling and coordinating work operations and procedures;
- Prepare correspondence to licensees, other work units and the public regarding professional licensing matters;
- Serve as liaison to Professional Boards and Comparative Education for issues relating to professional licensing;
- Assist in coordinating the cross-training of all DPLS staff;
- Provide leadership and promote an environment to encourage opportunities for process improvements;
- Work with DPLS staff, OP staff, Information Technology Services, vendors and others to improve processes, document procedures and implement technological changes pertaining to professional licensure;
- Analyze work statistics against established performance standards and implement, oversee and manage employee performance productivity standards; and
- Work with SED attorneys and others, and provide information and assistance related to FOIL requests, subpoenas, data sharing and enforcement related matters.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Education Credentials Specialist 1.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list, the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list, or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) Select Job Titles may be considered for appointment. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Credentials Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 or Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For more information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Education Credentials Specialist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-16 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 or Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For more information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 70.4 Transfer to Education Credentials Specialist Trainee 1: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Education Credentials Specialist Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list, Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) Select Titles eligible list, or the Public Administration Traineeship Transition (PATT) eligible list.
This will be a contingent-permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The salary above applies to candidates appointed to Education Credentials Specialist 1, SG-18. The hiring rate for candidates appointed to Education Credentials Specialist Trainee 1 starts at $42,986 and, for current New York State employees, is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship in order to advance to the journey level title and salary.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 2, 2021 to OPJobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1424/21464) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.