THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
District Manager Vocational Rehabilitation, M2 (Management/Confidential)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) is seeking candidates for two District Manager Vocational Rehabilitation positions in the Brooklyn and White Plains District Offices. The incumbents of these positions will direct and plan the operations of the ACCES-VR Brooklyn or White Plains District Office. The District Office provides educational, vocational and counseling services for persons with disabilities. The incumbents of these positions will be responsible for the planning, budgeting, program and policy evaluation, vendor review and management reporting for the ACCES-VR program for the geographic area served by the District Office. The incumbents of these positions must be skilled in the development of linkages and coordination with business and industry and with other service delivery systems and consumer groups, with special emphasis on populations that are underserved. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Direct office operations, including productivity, work flow, staffing, office automation and other resource needs;
- Provide general supervision to Associate and Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors and to the support staff responsible for finance and support operations;
- Review performance programs and performance appraisals to ensure validity and overall office consistency;
- Implement programs related to cooperative business relationships;
- Oversee the case review process;
- Ensure that findings of case reviews are appropriately followed-up and corrective action taken;
- Develop recommendations for restructuring office organization and direct the implementation of the changes;
- Identify policy issues pertaining to the provision of services and implement changes and resolve problems concerning such issues; and
- Oversee the implementation of service program initiatives including supported employment projects, business and industry marketing plans, school linkage projects and other initiatives called for by the regional or statewide service plans.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a District Manager Vocational Rehabilitation.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for District Manager Vocational Rehabilitation. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for District Manager Vocational Rehabilitation, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-24/M-1 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor or an Assistant District Manager Vocational and Educational Services OR two years of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor or a Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communications). Provisional candidates must take the examination for District Manager Vocational Rehabilitation when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Employees of ACCES-VR who are currently in a District Manager Vocational Rehabilitation position and are interested in transferring to the location indicated on this flyer MUST apply for the position as outlined in the Application section of this flyer.
These will be a contingent permanent or provisional appointments. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Regular statewide travel is required.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $113,225, based on annual performance advances.
** Plus $3,026 annual Downstate adjustment.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 4, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (see list below) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
ACS-2378/46001 (White Plains)**