THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Director, Research and Collections Division, M5 (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for a Director, Research and Collections Division position in the New York State Museum. Under the general supervision of the Assistant Commissioner who serves as the Director of the New York State Museum, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for the administration of the Research and Collections Division. The Division is responsible for the curation of the Museum’s collections in archaeology, anthropology, biology, geology, and paleontology, which comprise of approximately 20 million objects, specimens, and artifacts. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Administer all operations of the research and collections units of the State Museum, including personnel planning and the supervision of subordinate staff;
- Manage annual division budgeting and monitoring of expenditures for staff and equipment, supplies, services, and travel;
- Oversee collections curation and research programs, to include the review of all research and collections related grants submitted by the Division;
- In conjunction with the Director of Museum Exhibitions and staff, incorporate the results of the Museum’s research and collections programs into the permanent, temporary, and online exhibitions;
- Participate on Museum and Office of Cultural Education administrative committees and leadership teams;
- Maintain a high level of professional credibility and visibility by carrying out a high-visibility research program;
- Establish and maintain professional contacts that contribute to statewide and national recognition for the New York State Museum in the area of research specialization; and
- Establish and maintain professional contacts that contribute to statewide and national recognition for the New York State Museum in the area of research specialization.
Candidates must have a Doctoral degree in anthropology/archaeology, biology, geology, paleontology, or other relevant area of scientific inquiry AND six years of professional experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Administrative experience in a museum, university, or other research institution;
- Experience in the curation of scientific and/or cultural collections; or
- Experience in a well-established program of scientific research as documented by an extensive publications record.
This position is non-competitive and has been designated as policymaking and/or confidential. The incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Promotions may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $157,338 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1216/28076) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.