THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Director, Child Food Programs, M4 (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Director, Child Food Programs position in the Office of Child Nutrition. This Office is responsible for providing technical assistance to, and performing field inspections of, schools, sponsors, and residential childcare institutions participating in programs such as, School Breakfast, School Lunch, and Summer Food Service Programs, to ensure compliance with State and federal law and regulations, including the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve in a consultative and supervisory capacity for school food service programs and managers statewide, including the Summer Food Service Program;
- Act as a liaison to other State or federal agencies or organizations involved in food service programs and policies for children and represent the Department in professional and public forums;
- Provide leadership, supervision and accountability to a diverse staff consistent with the Department’s mission to implement State and federal laws, regulations and policies;
- Oversee the development and dissemination of resource material and information on child nutrition to School Food Authorities/Sponsors;
- Prepare and promote new or modified legislation at the State or federal level concerning the administration of child nutrition programs by reviewing and analyzing federal and State legislative proposals and preparing Department opinions and recommendations;
- Oversee the dissemination of over $900 million in federal and State funds to School Food Authorities/Sponsors participating in child nutrition programs, which included coordinating the development, maintenance and necessary revisions of Child Nutrition programs in New York State;
- Ensure the preservation of the nutritional and fiscal integrity of the child nutrition programs in School Food Authorities/Sponsors through staff site visits and reviews; and
- Manage grants, contracts, and other initiatives relevant to Child Nutrition Programs.
Non-competitive Promotion: If there are three of fewer qualified candidates, a permanent appointment may be made as a non-competitive promotion pursuant to Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law. To qualify, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Food Service Programs Evaluation Specialist 3.
In accordance with Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law, this notice advises all employees of the New York State Education Department of our intention to conduct a non-competitive promotional examination for the position of Director, Child Food Programs in Albany, NY. Permanent appointment may be made by non-competitive promotion of an applicant who meets the position’s minimum qualifications, if a non-competitive examination is approved by the Department of Civil Service.
This will be a permanent appointment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $138,763 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 18, 2020 to email box email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-NCP/60206) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.