THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Director of Charter Schools, M4 (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for the Director of Charter Schools position in the Charter School Office. NYSED is pursuing an ambitious agenda to transform K-12 education for New York State’s children. The vision of the Charter School Office is to create a diverse portfolio of innovative charter schools that produce strong outcomes through a rigorous new school process, strong performance oversight and accountability, and model authorizing practices. The charter schools authorized by the New York State Board of Regents will serve as exemplars for all public schools in New York State and across the country.
NYSED is seeking a dynamic individual to lead our efforts in transforming the Regents charter authorizing oversight activities. The Director of Charter Schools is responsible for leading and directing the development and implementation of the Regents policies relating to charter schools. The Director ensures that charter school initiatives are carried out within the larger strategic direction of the Regents, and that all charter schools are a viable, quality option for families, students and the communities that they service. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee implementation of the charter school initiative and policies as defined by the Board of Regents;
- Create protocols and procedures to operationalize the Board of Regents charter school policies;
- Manage the Office’s interactions with the New York City Department of Education, the SUNY Charter Schools Institute, school districts, charter school support organizations, local education constituents, school operators, national professional support organizations and partner authorizing entities;
- Direct the development and implementation of a comprehensive statewide strategy to move from a compliance-based program to a performance-based program;
- Oversee all aspects of new charter awarding, charter contracting, the school renewal process, performance frameworks and contracts with schools, and ongoing school performance evaluation, including accountability;
- Develop recommendations for legislative policies and programs related to charter schools;
- Direct the activities of office staff, external contractors and vendors, and oversee an annual budget of approximately $2 million, as well as the State’s Federal Charter School Grant;
- Oversee the Charter School Office’s participation in research and evaluation initiatives;
- Oversee NYSED’s review and response to all public inquiries and complaints related to the State’s public charter schools; and
- Manage the development of internal and external status and informational reports on the State’s public charter schools.
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have a Masters degree in the area of education, public policy, public administration or other field related to education and seven years of educational and/or administrative experience in an educational program or organization. Three years of this experience must have been in charter school authorizing; directing, overseeing and evaluating charter schools within a region or state; or directing, overseeing and evaluating academic programs and performance in school districts, or providing technical assistance to schools in the development of academic programs. Two years of this experience must have involved managing a program or organization involved in the above activities.
This will be a contingent permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $141,538 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 3, 2021 to OHEJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-892/21131) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.