THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Dietitian 2, Grade 18 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Dietitian 2 position at the New York State School for the Blind. The Dietitian 2 will function as the supervisor of the food-service department and food service activities. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Direct and manage the food and nutrition-program operations;
- Participate in multidisciplinary treatment team and nutrition meetings to develop meals and menus in accordance with student needs;
- Conduct initial and ongoing nutritional assessments on all students;
- Provide instruction, training, and consultation services on diet and nutrition therapy, meal planning, and food preparation to students, all direct care staff, and food service staff;
- Inspect and supervise food preparation, service areas, and meals to ensure compliance with dietetic care and nutrition plans, standards, regulations, and requirements;
- Oversee the Child Nutrition program, including reporting and tracking, and participating in Health Department inspections;
- Supervise food-service staff and perform a full range of supervisory duties, including scheduling, evaluations, time and attendance-related duties, and timesheet approval; and
- Manage inventory for the food-service department, and review and order appropriate food items based on needs of students, within budgetary allowances.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in any of the following titles: Dietitian 1, Director of Developmental Disabilities Nutritional Services, Director of Mental Health Nutritional Services, Food Production Manager 1, Food Production Manager 2, Nutrition Services Administrator 1 or Nutrition Services Administrator 2. To qualify for transfer, candidates must also possess a current registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) as a Registered Dietitian (RD) OR possess a current New York State Education Department (NYSED) certification in dietetics-nutrition AND have completed a minimum of an additional 400 hours of supervised dietetics practice under the supervision of an RD.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Experience in Child Nutrition, including dietary guidelines and menu planning; and
- Supervisory experience, including completing reports, paperwork, and time sheets.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Verification of a current registration with the CDR as an RD or NYSED certification as a Dietitian-Nutritionist will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates with a NYSED certification as a Dietician-Nutritionist must also have completed a minimum of an additional 400 hours of supervised dietetics practice under the supervision of an RD. Candidates are required to possess a current registration with the CDR as an RD or NYSED certification as a Dietitian-Nutritionist at the time of hire. Continued employment as a Dietitian 2 is dependent upon maintaining a current registration with the CDR as an RD or NYSED certification as a Dietitian-Nutritionist. Failure to maintain a current registration with the CDR as an RD or NYSED certification as a Dietitian-Nutritionist will result in removal from employment. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Friday, 7:00am to 3:30pm.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $71,980 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (BAT-386/00415) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify you for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your employment history.