THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Deputy Commissioner for P-12 School Services, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department is filling the vacancy of Deputy Commissioner for P-12 School Services. Reporting to the Senior Deputy Commissioner for Education Policy and working closely with the Commissioner of Education and the Board of Regents, the Deputy Commissioner has responsibility for leadership, management, and oversight of the Office of P-12 School Services and serves as a member of the Commissioner’s Leadership Team to provide guidance and direction in achieving the strategic goals of the State Education Department.
The incumbent of this position will play a key leadership role in implementing strategic plans and policies related to creating safe, nurturing and engaging learning environments for all students. This will include providing leadership to and oversight of: School Improvement, Curriculum and Instruction, Special Populations, including English Language Learners and Students with Disabilities, Early Childhood Education, School Safety, Career and Technical Education, and Expanded Learning Opportunities. From a foundation of, and commitment to, diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Deputy Commissioner will work to ensure all students are welcomed and supported in their school communities, enjoy equitable opportunities to succeed and are valued for the cultures, languages, and experiences they bring to their school communities. The Deputy Commissioner also plays a pivotal role in coordinating federal and State resources to proactively support schools and related educational organizations across New York State in implementing bold solutions to address pervasive opportunity gaps only exacerbated by the pandemic.
The Deputy Commissioner’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee and direct all programmatic and administrative activities of P-12 Education School Services consisting of a staff of approximately 150 professionals;
- Provide recommendations, advice and technical assistance on program, policy and regulatory matters concerning academic standards, curriculum, instruction and student and school services to the Senior Deputy Commissioner, Commissioner of Education, and Board of Regents;
- Work collaboratively with other Executive staff of the Department to implement the Department’s strategic and programmatic goals;
- Develop and enhance strong working relationships with schools, school districts, other educational organizations, the State legislature, professional associations, governmental agencies and various stakeholders in the educational, civic and business communities to advance the State’s educational enterprise;
- Ensure implementation of the strategic and programmatic goals and priorities of the Commissioner of Education and Board of Regents concerning student achievement and services;
- Oversee the development of policy, regulations and legislation affecting student services;
- Form and maintain relationships with internal and external educational experts and researchers to help drive Departmental decision making through data driven approaches and program evaluation; and
- Develop programmatic and operational improvements to increase the capacity of the Department, achieve efficiencies, and ensure an effective program, using technology and other tools.
Candidates must have a master’s degree or higher and at least five years of relevant senior level leadership and management experience including a record of proven results and responsibility for a major complex office or institution of higher education, education, or government. Candidates must have a demonstrated ability to provide leadership in a highly complex environment, develop and execute policy; lead and manage diverse staff and constituencies; and to work collaboratively within a multifaceted educational organization that must respond to State, federal and local needs and requirements.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the pleasure of the Commissioner of Education. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Application review will begin immediately and continue until a successful candidate is selected. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to P12jobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-2124/21100) in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.