THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Deputy Commissioner, NS (Management/Confidential)
Office of the Professions
The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for Deputy Commissioner for the Professions. The Deputy Commissioner has responsibility for leadership, management and oversight of the Office of the Professions (OP) and oversees all aspects affecting more than 50 professions regulated by the Board of Regents including education, licensure and registration, examination, practice and professional discipline. The Deputy Commissioner’s leadership, oversight and public protection responsibilities run a continuum from the registration of professional education programs and professional corporations to the oversight of sound professional practice. Serving as a member of the State Education Department’s Executive Leadership Team, the Deputy Commissioner will provide guidance and direction in achieving the strategic goals of the State Education Department.
OP is comprised of the Division of Professional Licensing Services, Division of Professional Education, the State Board Offices and the Division of Professional Responsibility. OP regulates and services over 900,000 practitioners and over 100,000 professional practice business entities.
The Deputy Commissioner’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee and direct all programmatic and administrative activities of OP;
- Provide advice and technical assistance on program, policy and regulatory matters concerning the professions to the Executive Deputy Commissioner, Commissioner and Board of Regents;
- Work collaboratively with other executive staff of the Department to implement the Department’s strategic goals;
- Develop and enhance strong working and collegial relationships with the State Boards, State Legislature, professional associations and societies and governmental agencies;
- Implement the strategic plan to ensure success of the Commissioner and the Board of Regents’ goals in matters concerning the professions;
- Oversee the development of policy and legislation affecting the professions;
- Serve as chair of the Committee on the Professions addressing special licensure, moral character, discipline and restoration cases; and
- Develop programmatic and operational improvements to achieve efficiencies and ensure an effective program, using technology and other tools.
Candidates must have a master’s degree or higher and have relevant senior level leadership and management experience including a record of proven results and responsibility for a major complex office or institution of education or government or entity involved in the oversight, regulation, investigation or prosecution of professional activities. Candidates must have a demonstrated ability to develop and execute policy; lead and manage diverse staff and constituencies; and work collaboratively within a multifaceted educational organization that must respond to State, federal and local needs and requirements.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval.
Application review will begin immediately and continue until a successful candidate is selected. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1296) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax: (518) 486-5631