THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Contract Management Specialist 2, Grade 23 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for a Contract Management Specialist 2 position in the Contract Administration Unit (CAU). This Unit is responsible for the Department’s procurement, grant-making, and contracting processes. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Track work flow, monitor deadlines, and prepare reports for NYSED staff and other stakeholders;
- Identify barriers in achieving goals of the unit, and recommend corrective action and process improvements;
- Review large and complex requests for proposals (RFPs), contract requests, and related documents for compliance with State Finance Law, NYS Procurement Council guidelines, NYSED policies, and Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise (M/WBE) requirements;
- Oversee the preparation of contracts resulting from RFPs, invitations for bids, mini-bids, and sole source and single source procurements to ensure that contracts and procurement packages are complete and accurate;
- Work with staff in the Office of State Comptroller and the Office of the Attorney General to secure contract approval;
- Train and advise NYSED staff on appropriate procurement methods and best practices;
- Address procurement challenges in consultation with management, counsel, and other appropriate staff to bring to resolution;
- Assist in the review, development and updating of procedures, guidelines, and templates to support NYSED’s procurement, contracting, and M/WBE responsibilities;
- Increase awareness and understanding of M/WBE requirements among NYSED staff;
- Explain M/WBE certification requirements to businesses and assist them in the certification process;
- Review contractor and grantee budgets and M/WBE documentation to confirm completeness and determine level of compliance prior to award;
- Provide technical assistance to vendors to achieve compliance and meet M/WBE requirements;
- Enter approved M/WBE utilization plans in the NYS Contract System and support full use of the system by contractors/ subcontractors;
- Monitor contractors’ and grantees’ M/WBE utilization to ensure they continue to meet established goals;
- Remain up to date on procurement, contract, and M/WBE guidance at the State-level; and
- Supervise a team of professional and clerical staff.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as Contract Management Specialist 2.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible for Contract Management Specialist 2. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer to Contract Management Specialist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-21 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Contract Management Specialist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant Business Officer, Associate Auditor, Grants Administrator 2, Housing Specialist 2, Parks Regional Grants Administrator, or Senior Purchasing Agent.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 28, 2019 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-420/04231) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.