THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, Grade 25 (PEF)
(open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) is seeking to fill an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor positions in the Queens District Office. Under the supervision of the District Office Manager, the incumbent will serve as supervisor of all counseling services in the district office and as the direct supervisors for Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors in charge of counseling units. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinating and directing counseling activities in the office which includes reviewing and analyzing data reports for caseload quality and quantitative controls, advising counseling unit supervisors on policy and procedure questions; and proposes solutions to operation problems;
- Investigating major complains concerning provision of services; handling consumer compliant inquires; and serving as an informal resource to SVRCs in consumer appeals;
- Analyzing data and preparing reports illustrating the effectiveness of current practices, unmet program needs, and proposing recommendations for program development;
- Promoting and encouraging public interest in ACCES-VR services and representing ACCES-VR at conferences and meetings regarding vocational rehabilitation including meetings with providers, schools, colleges, employers, and the community; and
- Assisting District Office Manager in the preparation of budget requests including CRS contract usage, all other contract usage, and staff needs.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title allocated at salary grader 23 or higher and deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess a current Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) certificate OR a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling, including a supervised internship from a Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) accredited program OR a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling or counseling and notice of eligibility to sit for the CRCC certificate examination to qualify for transfer.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of New York State and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor or Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communications). Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Employees of ACCES-VR who are currently in an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor position and are interested in transferring to the location indicated on this flyer MUST apply for the position as outlined in the Application section of this flyer.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
** Plus $3,026 annual Downstate adjustment.
This will be a permanent competitive or non-permanent provisional appointment. Appointment may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Statewide travel will be required.
Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest and resume by May 20, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Please include the Box number (ACS-2447/46203) in the subject line of your e-mail to ensure receipt of your application.