THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, Grade 25 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) is seeking candidates to fill an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor position in the Albany Central Office. Under the supervision of a Manager, Vocational and Educational Services Coordination 2, the incumbent of this position will provide general oversight of the vocational rehabilitation training and professional development opportunities. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- In partnership with the ACCES-VR management team, identify and prioritize vocational rehabilitation training and professional development needs on an annual basis to develop a master plan;
- Use the master plan to identify staff training resources, including ACCES-VR staff, community-based organizations, Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) partners, ACCES-VR training vendors, and schedule and track trainings and professional development opportunities;
- Develop training curricula related to the design, delivery, and evaluation of vocational rehabilitation services, other ACCES-VR essential operations, and curricula to address WIOA requirements and/or partnerships;
- Represent ACCES-VR at various training workgroups such as the NYS WIOA Training and Assistance Group, national training workgroups, and other identified and assigned workgroups;
- Act as project manager and facilitator of ACCES-VR subject-matter-expert workgroups charged with creating trainings for ACCES-VR leadership approval;
- Deliver identified trainings in a variety of formats including, but not limited to, in-person, webinar, asynchronous, and other in-person/remote options that may be available;
- Contribute to the development of public presentations and facilitate workshops at public meetings;
- Oversee training agreements with contracted vendors including but not limited to, drafting training agreements for ACCES-VR leadership approval, reviewing deliverables for quality and approving payments, and managing ongoing communication between the training vendors and ACCES-VR;
- Review training curricula developed by ACCES-VR staff for internal and external presentations, State vocational rehabilitation agencies, institutions of higher learning and/or federal technical assistance centers, ACCES-VR training vendors, and other comparable organizations;
- Oversee the process for obtaining the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) continuing education pre-approval for trainings;
- Provide supervision for the professional and clerical staff;
- Oversee the management of assigned electronic repositories such as SharePoint utilized by ACCES-VR staff; and
- Ensure that approval and payment processes for conferences and other trainings are processed timely and accurately.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title allocated at salary grader 23 or higher and deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess a current Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) certificate OR a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling, including a supervised internship from a Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) accredited program OR a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling or counseling and notice of eligibility to sit for the CRCC certificate examination to qualify for transfer.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of New York State and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor or Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communications). Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Employees of ACCES-VR who are currently in an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor position and are interested in transferring to the location indicated on this flyer MUST apply for the position as outlined in the Application section of this flyer.
This will be a permanent or provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Statewide travel will be required (10% of assignment).
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by April 20, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2421/40283) in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.