THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, Grade 25 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) is seeking candidates to fill an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor position in the Albany Central Office. Under the supervision of the Administrator, Vocational and Educational Services Coordination, the incumbent of this position will work with the central office and district office managers and supervisory staff as a resource to ensure staff have the support needed to successfully serve our participants. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review and analyze data and narrative reports to identify problems and highlight relevant issues and concerns, and propose solutions to management;
- Determine compliance with VR policies and procedures and provide technical assistance and guidance to the Central and District Office staff as needed for consistent implementation of policy and procedures;
- Act as liaison to coordinate with various SED department areas related to the needs of Central Office and District Offices;
- Respond to questions from staff, customers, stakeholders and vendors regarding policy, procedures and contractual requirements;
- Handle customer and vendor compliant inquiries, including reviewing the case and conferring with the district office as needed;
- Represent the Administrator, Vocational and Educational Services Coordination at internal and interagency meetings and presentations;
- Oversee the VR case management system, ensuring federal and state regulations and VR policy and procedures are maintained; and
- Participate in or oversee completion of special projects.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title allocated at salary grader 23 or higher and deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess a current Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) certificate OR a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling, including a supervised internship from a Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) accredited program OR a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling or counseling and notice of eligibility to sit for the CRCC certificate examination to qualify for transfer.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of New York State and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor or Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communications). Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Employees of ACCES-VR who are currently in an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor position and are interested in transferring to the location indicated on this flyer MUST apply for the position as outlined in the Application section of this flyer.
This will be a permanent or provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Statewide travel will be required (10% of assignment).
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 15, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2400/45605) in the subject line of your e-mail and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.