THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, Grade 25 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) is seeking to fill two (2) Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor positions in the Bronx and Brooklyn District Offices. Under the supervision of the District Manager, Vocational Rehabilitation (DOM), the incumbents will serve as supervisors of all counseling services in the district offices, and as the direct supervisors for Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors (SVRCs) in charge of counseling units. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate and direct counseling activities in the office, including reviewing and analyzing data reports for caseload quality and quantitative controls, advising counseling unit supervisors on policy and procedure questions, and proposing solutions to operation problems;
- Investigate major complaints concerning provision of services, handle consumer compliant inquires, and serve as an informal resource to SVRCs in consumer appeals;
- Analyze data and prepare reports illustrating the effectiveness of current practices and unmet program needs, and propose recommendations for program development;
- Promote and encourage public interest in ACCES-VR services, and represent ACCES-VR at conferences and meetings regarding vocational rehabilitation, including meetings with providers, schools, colleges, employers, and the community; and
- Assist the DOM in the preparation of budget requests, including CRS contract usage, all other contract usage, and staff needs.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-23 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess a current Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) certificate OR a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling, including a supervised internship from a Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) accredited program OR a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling or counseling and notice of eligibility to sit for the CRCC certificate examination to qualify for transfer.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of New York State and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor or Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Manual Communications). Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Note: Employees of ACCES-VR who are currently in an Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor position and are interested in transferring to the location indicated on this flyer MUST apply for the position as outlined in the Application section of this flyer.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
** Plus $3,026 annual Downstate adjustment.
The following will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment: ACS-2395/43405. ACS-2420/00173 will be a contingent permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Statewide travel will be required (15% of assignment).
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 15, 2021 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2395/ 43405 or ACS-2420/00173) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.