THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in School Business Management, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of the Chief Financial Officer is seeking candidates for two Associate in School Business Management positions in the Office of State Aid. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support management and oversight of the annual data collection and editing process, and the annual content modification and update of State Aid claim forms, edit parameters, and output reports pursuant to statutory changes and other driving factors;
- Serve as a primary liaison with State Aid Office Data Unit staff regarding implementation of aid program-related SAMS changes, preparation of field memos for web posting, and annual SAMS rollover;
- Support Management and oversight of the annual claim verification process during which risk management is used to identify, plan, and implement projects in several aid areas, including requesting detailed substantiating documentation from school districts and BOCES for already-submitted claims;
- Review, develop, modify, implement, and maintain process documentation and schedules, and support standardization of operations and documentation across program areas;
- Facilitate cross-training of professional and clerical staff across assigned areas, to maximize available staff resources and mitigate risk;
- Support oversight of the provision of technical assistance to school districts, the public, consultants, other NYSED staff, and representatives of external agencies and organizations in assigned program areas;
- Draft aid program-related field memos, review supervisees’ written communications for appropriateness and clarity, and assist in provision of information, advice, and analysis to the Chief, Bureau of State Aid and other NYSED staff; and
- Support identification, definition, and promotion of opportunities to increase the efficiency of office procedures and practices and enhance progress toward the mission and goals of the State Aid Office.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in School Business Management.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the titles linked here: Section 70.1 Transfer Determinations Between Professional Educator Titles Grade 22, 26, and 28.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree or higher AND four years of professional level experience in education administration where your primary duties (greater than 50%) involved education finance, education finance research, or fiscal management. This experience must have been within an elementary, middle, or secondary education institution, or in an education oversight agency. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in School Business Management when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Examples of non-qualifying experience include, but are not limited to, experience as a:
- K-12 Classroom Teacher
- Tenured College Professor
- Adjunct Professor
- Graduate Assistant
- Teaching Assistant
- School District Official or School District Administrator in which your primary duties (greater than 50%) DID NOT include education finance, education finance research, or fiscal management.
55b/c Appointment: These positions are eligible for 55b/c designation and are subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
These will be permanent appointments or temporary provisional appointments. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in School Business Management when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or employment history will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 7, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for these positions. You must include one of the Box numbers (CFO-545/04232 or CFO-556/04112) of these positions in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.