THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in School Business Management, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in School Business Management within its Office of Indigenous Education. The Office of Indigenous Education supports financial functions, with additional support provided to school districts serving Indigenous K-12 students on an as needed basis. Primarily, the Office reviews, and if appropriate, approves and pays school district tuition and transportation, supplemental funds, school bus purchases and the monitoring of the higher education tuition payments and budget. These include oversight of the Office of Indigenous Education tuition contracts, amendments, supplemental funds, transportation proposals, transportation vendor Invitation for Bids (IFB) and school bus purchases, registration, licensing and bus surplus. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with public school business administrators and transportation vendors on technical assistance;
- Review, analyze and prepare tuition and transportation invoices for NYSED payments;
- Work with NYSED State Aid on financial planning and budgeting; monitor of all school district proposals, contracts and amendments;
- Initiate a technical assistance model with instructional services and targeted informational materials to support school district business administrators with tuition and transportation proposals and payments;
- Prepare Transportation Invitation for Bids (IFB) for private transportation vendors;
- Prepare school bus purchases, work closely with school districts and busing companies, register and licensing of buses with New York State Department of Motor Vehicle and Bus Surplus submissions;
- Administer the accounting of the Higher Education program funds creating a reporting system;
- Provide administrative support to Supervisor, P-12 Manager, and Assistant Commissioner as needed; and
- Financial Presentations to School District Superintendents, School Business Administrators and Tribal Nation Leaders.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in School Business Management.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Associate in School Business Management. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in any of the titles linked here: Section 70.1 Transfer Determinations Between Professional Educator Titles Grade 22, 26, and 28 | New York State Education Department (nysed.gov).
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree or higher AND four years of professional level experience in educational administration where your primary duties (greater than 50%) involved education finance, education finance research, or fiscal management. This experience must have been within an elementary, middle or secondary educational institution, or in an educational oversight agency. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in School Business Management when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Examples of non-qualifying experience include, but are not limited to, experience as a:
- K-12 Classroom Teacher
- Tenured College Professor
- Adjunct Professor
- Graduate Assistant
- Teaching Assistant
- School District Official or School District Administrator in which your primary duties (greater than 50%) DID NOT include education finance, education finance research, or fiscal management.
This will be a permanent or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in School Business Management when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. 55b/c designation is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require overnight in-state travel (10% of assignment).
* Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 6, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-960/04230) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.