THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in School Business Management, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Associate in School Business Management position in the Office of State Aid. This Office is responsible for the calculation, payment, verification, and projection of over $27 billion in State Aid distributed annually to school districts and BOCES in support of public elementary and secondary education in New York State. Data that supports these activities is currently collected from over 700 school districts and 37 BOCES via the State Aid Management System (SAMS), a custom web-based software system. Data from other State agencies and other offices within NYSED is also collected, analyzed, and used to calculate and project State Aid. Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Bureau of State Aid, the incumbent of this position will oversee all State Aid Office functions associated with multiple State Aid programs. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage and oversee the annual content modification and update of State Aid claim forms, edit parameters and output reports pursuant to statutory changes and other driving factors;
- Manage and oversee the annual data collection and edit process of over 2,800 claim forms from 700 school districts and 37 BOCES;
- Manage and oversee the annual claim verification process during which risk management is used to identify, plan, and implement projects in several aid areas;
- Collaborate with State Aid Office Data Unit staff to implement aid program-related SAMS changes, prepare field memos for web postings, and annual SAMS rollover;
- Become knowledgeable about the statute and regulations that govern assigned program areas, major issues that surround the aid areas, and the processes and tasks associated with each aid program;
- Supervise staff that provide technical assistance to school districts, the public, consultants, other NYSED staff, and representatives of external agencies and organizations in assigned program areas;
- Draft aid program-related field memos, and review supervisees’ written communications to ensure they are relevant and accurate;
- Standardize operations and documentation across all program areas;
- Ensure cross-training of professional and clerical staff across assigned areas, to maximize available staff resources and mitigate risk;
- Assist with the redesign of the State Aid Management System (SAMS), as needed; and
- Identify, define, and advocate for opportunities to increase the efficiency of office procedures and practices that align with the Office of State Aid’s mission and goals.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in School Business Management.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate in School Business Management Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 3, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (EXEC-10/04235) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.