THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in School Business Management, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in School Business Management position in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, fire safety and health in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. Under the general direction of the Supervisor, School Business Management, the incumbent of this position shall act as a project manager and is responsible for coordinating and performing administrative review of public school districts and BOCES capital construction projects that require the approval of the Commissioner of Education. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Review preliminary capital construction plans and scope of work submitted by school districts for financial aid estimates;
Review final documents for compliance with Commissioners’ regulations, Department guidance, and general municipal law related to public works projects;
- Ensure accurate data is reported to the Office of State Aid;
- Review and approve contract change orders to ensure they are appropriate to the project;
- Assist accountants in the review and processing of final cost reports for assigned projects;
- Provide technical assistance regarding projects and financial policies to school districts, financial consultants, architects and engineers working on public school projects;
- Interpret regulations as needed;
- Conduct presentations to constituent groups to promote the Department's programs and policies;
- Respond to correspondence from a wide range of individuals, including parents, school administrators and legislators;
- Perform special assignments as assigned, such as draft regulations, update existing guidance documents, and create new guidance as new laws and regulations are enacted; and
- Attend conferences and workshops designed to increase knowledge in school financial issues and to stay abreast of developing financial trends in school districts and BOCES.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in School Business Management.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in School Financial Aid.
Provisional Appointment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in School Business Management or Assistant in School Financial Aid OR candidates must have a master’s degree AND five years of professional level experience in elementary, middle or secondary education or in an educational oversight agency. Three years of this experience must have been in educational administration with major responsibility for education finance, education finance research or fiscal management.
This will be a contingent permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a salary of $103,609 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 22, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1778/61005) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.