THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Professional Education, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions is seeking candidates for an Associate in Professional Education position in the State Boards for Engineering, Land Surveying, Geology and Interior Design. Under the direction of the Executive Secretary to the State Boards, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for providing professional and technical support in the development and implementation of practice guidelines, regulations and standards concerning professional licensure and practice including the OP modernization project. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Organize and manage information and workflow in the State Board Office;
- Implement and maintain computer-based data management system for tracking applications and retrieve information to respond to queries about status and processing;
- Oversee input and quality of database entry by clerical staff and request relevant reports to address work planning and problem resolution;
- Research, collect and analyze data related to matters of professional licensure and practice for presentation to the Board of Regents, the State Boards and other interested parties;
- Utilize oral and written communication skills to address questions about licensure to licensees, applicants, and other customers;
- Explain new regulations and statutes, evaluate procedures, and provide general information to professional associations, educational programs and other stakeholders;
- Serve as primary back-up to Executive Secretary for daily activities of Board Office staff including, but not limited to, staff supervision, assignments, responding to inquiries from legislators, and development of performance plans and evaluations;
- Assist in the review, evaluation, and approval of professional programs, licensing applications, and continuing education sponsors and audits and NYS land surveying exam;
- Assist in the scheduling and conduct of meetings of the State Boards and work groups or committees of the Boards, as assigned;
- Provide support to the Deputy Commissioner’s Office related to strategic initiatives and special projects, and;
- Other activities related to providing public protection through effective policies, procedures and protocols, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Professional Education.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate in Professional Education Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service as a Veterans Education Program Representative 3 AND a master’s or higher degree AND:
- Either 1. Four years of professional level administrative experience** or educational experience within a college, university, education agency, governmental agency, professional association, or within an agency or organization having oversight, regulatory, or coordinative responsibility for higher or professional education. Two years of this experience must have included performing duties related to the preparation, regulation or oversight of the licensed professions; *** training, testing or supervising of licensed professionals; *or the development, review, evaluation or offering of licensed professional education programs;
- OR 2. Four years of professional level administrative experience** or educational experience in credentialing or discipline of professional licensees. Two years of this experience must have included performing duties related to the preparation, regulation or oversight of the licensed professions; *** training, testing or supervising of licensed professionals; or the development, review, evaluation or offering of licensed professional education programs.
For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
**Professional level administrative experience includes, but is not limited to, engaging in the following duties:
- Reviewing and recommending/taking action on applications for courses in a college or university;
- Reviewing and recommending/taking action on applications for continuing education and professional development courses offered by an education agency or professional association;
- Reviewing education, experience, personal statements, references and/or examination scores and making appropriate recommendation or taking action on application for licensure under State laws;
- Reviewing education, experience, personal statements, references and/or examination scores and making appropriate recommendation or taking action on application for certification or credentialing under standards set by a professional association, certification body (e.g., medical or behavioral health specialty areas);
- Reviewing complaints and questions about ethical or acceptable practices by members of a professional association, holders of a specialty credential, or similar disciplinary activity;
- Reviewing complaints and questions about professional conduct by licensed professionals;
- Reviewing and approving, denying or requesting clarification from providers approved or seeking renewal of authorization to provide education, continuing education or similar activities in accordance with acceptable standards, and;
- Experience as an instructor, trainer or educator in continuing education or professional development programs that includes the development and preparation of instructional material, including learning objectives and assessments.
***Licensed professionals are those professions licensed under Title 8 of the New York State Education Law. Please see: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Associate in Professional Education if they are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-24 or higher AND have standing on the Associate in Professional Education eligible list.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. In-state travel related to Board Office business is required and is estimated to be approximately 10% of the job duties
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 22, 2019 to OPJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1211/19622) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.