THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Nursing Education (Addictions), Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Professions is seeking candidates for an Associate in Nursing Education (Addictions) position in the Professional Assistance Program (PAP). The Professional Assistance Program assists professionals who have substance abuse problems, but who have not harmed patients or clients. Such professionals may voluntarily enter the PAP rather than face certain charges of professional misconduct. Under the direction of the Deputy Commissioner, the incumbent of this position will be involved in a wide range of duties that will require significant personal initiative and judgement. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in all aspects of implementation of Chapter 290 of the Laws of 2000, including contract preparation, monitoring, and acting as liaison with PAP contractors to ensure acceptable levels of service to professionals with substance abuse problems;
- Prepare and present speeches at national and statewide professional conferences, association meetings, and college and university functions on drug abuse in the professions;
- Analyze proposed state legislation affecting licensed professionals with addictions;
- Draft opinions relating to proposed State legislation and assist in developing proposed legislation;
- Advise PAP applicants, licensees, employers, and PAP participants on controlled substance issues and State policies and procedures;
- Perform administrative duties delegated by the Deputy Commissioner;
- Conduct research and draft issue papers on topics affecting licensed professionals with addictions;
- Respond to inquiries from applicants, licensees, PAP participants, and the general public regarding the Professional Assistance Program Statutes, Regents Rules, and policies and procedures;
- Prepare materials for Regents approval on regulatory Regents Rules changes in the PAP;
- Develop course work for presentation by staff and provide presentations to PAP members, state agencies, and other interested entities;
- Monitor PAP participants;
- Assist in the preparation for meetings of the Committee for Professional Assistance; and
- Supervise lower-level professional and clerical staff.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must possess a current New York State License as a Registered Nurse (RN) AND possess a master’s degree in nursing AND possess four years of nursing experience of which two years must have been in the field of substance abuse services involving intake, evaluation, and/or assessment of patients with substance abuse problems. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Nursing Education (Addictions) when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a non-permanent provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Nursing Education (Addictions) when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of license and degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess a New York State license as a Registered Nurse (RN) at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Associate in Nursing Education (Addictions) is dependent upon maintaining a license as a Registered Nurse. Failure to maintain license as a registered nurse will result in removal from employment.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1160/19325) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.