THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Instructional Services (School Counseling), Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Higher Education is seeking candidates for an Associate in Instructional Services (School Counseling) position in the Office of Student Support Services. This Office promotes school improvement by focusing on social and emotional learning, mental health services, and supports through programs and activities related to Student-Centered Support Services, School and Student Health, Expanded Learning Opportunities, Safe Schools, and Alternative Education. The incumbent of this position will focus on the implementation of a whole school, whole child, whole community (WSCC) framework in schools and districts by providing technical assistance, program support, and review. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support school districts in developing local capacity to meet the mental health needs of students, family members, and personnel;
- Provide written, on-site, and/or verbal technical assistance to schools, local educational agencies, other public or private agencies, professional groups, or parents, as requested;
- Develop, coordinate, and/or facilitate meetings, conferences, webinars, or workshops to support program initiatives;
- Serve in a lead position to the Student-Centered Support Services Advisory group;
- Complete reports, guidance documents, and site-visit reports within a designated timeframe;
- Research current educational practices, policies, statutes, regulations, and standards;
- Serve on committees to support or advance NYSED initiatives related to the development of NYSED’s WSCC framework;
- Assist in writing and reviewing regulations, Regents items, policies, and procedures regarding student-centered supports;
- Collaborate with NSED’s Information and Reporting Services office regarding data collection systems; and
- Perform special assignments as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Instructional Services and possess a New York State permanent or professional certification as a School Counselor.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the Professional Educator Titles (Grade 22, 26, and 28), as indicated here: http://www.nysed.gov/hr/section-701-transfer-determinations-between-prof...
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have Candidates must possess a master’s degree AND New York State permanent or professional certification as a School Counselor AND four years of professional experience in the corresponding specialty area. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Instructional Services when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent or temporary provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess a New York State Permanent of Professional Certification in School Counseling at the time of hire.
Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 7, 2023 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov(email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-1027/03233) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.