THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Instructional Services (Physical Education), Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department's (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Instructional Services (Physical Education) position in the Office of Curriculum and Standards. This Office is responsible for the areas of English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, the Arts, Physical Education, and professional development initiatives to support these subject areas. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Build capacity of school administrators, teachers, and parents in understanding and implementing the NYS Physical Education Learning Standards;
- Manage vendor activities and responsibilities, related to NYS Physical Education Learning Standards and curricular resources, for quality, timeliness, accuracy, and completeness;
- Develop and conduct training and related workshops to build teachers' content knowledge and pedagogy in Physical Education;
- Partner with The University of the State of New York member institutions, state professional organizations, and other stakeholder groups to provide a variety of professional development opportunities and resources related to the NYS Physical Education Learning Standards;
- Offer technical assistance to school personnel and other stakeholders in Physical Education;
- Administer a variety of competitive federal and State grant programs supporting increased student achievement in Physical Education;
- Provide content expertise on the development of curriculum, instruction, and assessment models in Physical Education;
- Serve as liaison to State and federal organizations on educational policy initiatives and practices, and
- Research and prepare professional development materials, grants, contracts, proposed regulatory and policy statements, Board of Regents items, and informational materials.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Instructional Services (Physical Education).
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the titles linked here: Section 70.1 Transfer Determinations Between Professional Educator Titles Grade 22, 26, and 28.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Instructional Services (Physical Education) OR possess a Master’s degree AND New York State permanent or professional certification in Physical Education AND four years of full-time classroom teaching experience in the corresponding subject area and grade levels. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Instructional Services (Physical Education) when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Additional teaching certification(s) in health and/or coaching license.
- Experience coaching one or more sports and/or serving as a physical education and/or athletics director.
- Up-to-date job knowledge maintained through participation in conferences and ongoing educational opportunities.
- Active affiliation with professional organizations related to physical education, health education, coaching, and/or athletics administration.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and skill in fostering teamwork and building productive working relationships.
- The ability to foster and maintain rapport with stakeholders and demonstrate an exceptional commitment to customer service and to delivering quality outcomes.
This will be a permanent appointment or temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Instructional Services (Physical Education) when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require less than 10% Statewide travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $ 114,393 based on annual performance advances.
** In addition to the listed base salary, this position receives a $3,026 annual Downstate location adjustment. (ONLY if being appointed to the Brooklyn location).
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 7, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2197/65006) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.