THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Instructional Services (N-6), Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Instructional Services (N-6) position in the Office of Early Learning (OEL). This Office provides oversight and technical support to school districts in the development, implementation and evaluation of programs and policies related to educating students in Prekindergarten to third grade that are aligned with the NYS Board of Regents Early Childhood Policy. The Office works closely with parents, early care and education agencies, schools, state agencies and community advocates to coordinate programs and resources, with the goal of making New York’s early learning system as comprehensive and seamless as possible. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide direction and support for statewide policies and programs, related to best practices for prekindergarten to third grade (P-3), including develop pment of a P-3 learning continuum for students;
- Support school districts to promote high quality prekindergarten programs, particularly in high-need school districts, including the provision of technical assistance to early childhood education program providers on program development, implementation and evaluation;
- Conduct program monitoring, including site visits of all State-funded prekindergarten programs administered by OEL;
- Review research, analyze related data, and write reports to inform the development of policies and guidelines related to early childhood education;
- Communicate with early learning providers, school districts, parents, and other stakeholders by phone, email and letter, developing and presenting workshops on program quality and fiscal requirements;
- Represent OEL on various inter- and intra-agency committees and advisory/work groups to collaborate on best practices and initiatives to educate children, ages birth-eight;
- Complete requests from Supervisors or the Director to ensure the deliverables of the office are being met; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Instructional Services (N-6).
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Instructional Services (N-6) OR possess a master’s degree AND New York State permanent or professional certification in Childhood Education (grades 1-6) or Early Childhood Education (Birth to Grade 2) AND four years of full time classroom teaching experience in that subject area and corresponding grade levels. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Instructional Services (N-6) when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Experience teaching prekindergarten – 3rd grade.
This will be a permanent appointment or temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Instructional Services (N-6) when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and teaching certificate will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require up to 20% Statewide travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by June 29, 2022 to P12jobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2192/65107) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.