THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Instructional Services (Biology 7-12, Earth Science 7-12, or Chemistry 7-12), Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department's (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Instructional Services (Biology 7-12, Earth Science 7-12, or Chemistry 7-12) position in the Office of Curriculum and Instruction. This Office is responsible for the areas of English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, the Arts, Physical Education, and professional development initiatives to support these subject areas. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in building capacity of school administrators, teachers, and parents in understanding and implementing the NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards;
- Assist with managing vendor activities and responsibilities related to NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards, curricula resources, and computer-based and print-based assessments for quality, timeliness, accuracy, and completeness;
- Assist with developing and conducting training and related workshops to build teachers' content knowledge and pedagogy in science;
- Partner with The University of the State of New York member institutions, state professional organizations, and other stakeholder groups to provide a variety of professional development opportunities and resources related to the NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards;
- Offer technical assistance to school personnel and other stakeholders in science;
- Administer a variety of competitive federal and State grant programs supporting increased student achievement in science;
- Provide content expertise on the development of curriculum, instruction, and assessment models in science;
- Serve as liaison to State and federal organizations on educational policy initiatives and practices, and
- Research and prepare professional development materials, grants, contracts, proposed regulatory and policy statements, Board of Regents items, and informational materials.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Instructional Services (Biology 7-12, Earth Science 7-12, or Chemistry 7-12).
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For temporary provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Instructional Services (Biology 7-12, Earth Science 7-12, or Chemistry 7-12) OR a master’s degree AND New York State permanent or professional certification in Biology 7-12, Earth Science 7-12, or Chemistry 7-12 AND four years of full-time classroom teaching experience in the corresponding subject area and grade levels.
This will be a permanent or temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Instructional Services (Biology 7-12, Earth Science 7-12, or Chemistry 7-12) when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of certification will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require less than 10% Statewide travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 29, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-2067/65024) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.