THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Instructional Services, Grade 26 (PEF)
(FRENCH 7-12 OR SPANISH 7-12)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Instructional Services (French 7-12 or Spanish 7-12) position in the Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages (OBEWL). The incumbent of this position will provide expert support related to the teaching and learning of languages other than English (LOTE). Such supports include information, direction and guidance to local schools, administrators, teachers and parents on LOTE-related State and federal laws, regulations and policies. OBEWL provides guidance, technical assistance, and support to New York State school districts, Charter Schools, Religious and Independent Schools, educational organizations, and the public in the development of programs for English Language Learners/Multilingual Learners (ELLs/MLLs) and World Language students. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Plan, deliver and participate in workshops related to teaching LOTE for school teaching staff, administrators, and professional or community-based organizations;
• Provide direction, guidance and assistance to local schools, teachers, administrators, and parents on State and federal laws, regulations, and policies relating to the teaching and learning of World Languages;
• Plan and conduct on-site visits to monitor and evaluate ELL/MLL and LOTE education programs in schools and districts;
• Provide expert guidance to and collaborate with the Regional Bilingual Education Resource Networks (RBERNs), Department offices, and statewide and national educational organizations;
• Implement activities that serve the needs of students to develop multilingual skills and to achieve academically in all content areas;
• Respond to daily written and oral inquiries, suggestions, and concerns from teachers and administrators;
• Evaluate LOTE programs against the Department's learning standards, Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, Education Law, and requirements of the federal Department of Education and Department of Labor;
• Coordinate and participate in the design, development and revision of resource guides and related materials for the World Languages curriculum used by teachers and administrators;
• As required, review and summarize for management the impact of proposed legislation on current laws and education policies;
• Provide guidance and expertise in the development of policy and regulatory proposals;
• Collect, analyze and maintain up-to-date World Languages program-related data and prepare required reports;
• Monitor NYS schools, including charter schools and Religious and Independent Schools, that participate in the NYS Seal of Biliteracy program;
• Review documents and analyze statistical data to assure that participants are in compliance with laws and regulations and to monitor progress and performance;
• Contribute to preparation of Requests for Proposals and applications for LOTE-related State and federal programs; and
• Analyze program data, research articles, reports and other research related documents to identify impact and implications of instructional and professional development activities.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Instructional Services (French 7-12 or Spanish 7-12).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for the Associate in Instructional Services (Spanish 7-12). Please note, there is currently no Civil Service eligible list for the Associate in Instructional Services (French 7-12).
Provisional Appointment: For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Instructional Services (French 7-12 or Spanish 7-12) OR a master’s degree AND New York State permanent or professional teaching certification in French 7-12 or Spanish 7-12 AND five years of full-time classroom teaching experience in either French 7-12 or Spanish 7-12.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for the Associate in Instructional Services (Spanish 7-12) title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. This position will require frequent, statewide travel.
*Leads to a salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 26, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1829/61007) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.