THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Higher Education, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Higher Education position in the Office of College and University Evaluation (OCUE). OCUE monitors academic quality in all undergraduate and graduate programs, except those leading to professional licensure, throughout the more than 270 public, independent, and proprietary degree-granting institutions in New York State. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Evaluate proposals for the registration of credit-bearing programs from New York State institutions of higher education (IHEs), as well as provide guidance and technical assistance to NYS IHEs;
- Monitor continued compliance with the Board of Regents standards for academic program registration;
- Participate in and lead site visits to NYS IHEs, as well as collect and analyze data on the performance of NYS IHEs;
- Review and act on complaints made against NYS IHEs;
- Assist in the review of institutions that seek to establish a physical presence in NYS;
- Draft proposed regulations and policy documents and prepare materials and reports for consideration by Department senior management and the Board of Regents;
- Participate in the activities related to the close-out of the Board of Regents status as a USDE accrediting agency, including monitoring of currently accredited institutions to ensure continued compliance with Federal and State accreditation standards and assisting institutions in transitioning to new accrediting agencies; and
- Perform special assignments as directed by the Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner or Director of OCUE to meet needs for analysis, research, and communications, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Higher Education.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Educational Planning and Evaluation OR Veterans Education Program Representative 3 AND have a master’s degree.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Associate in Higher Education if they are a current a New York State employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-24 or higher AND have standing on the Associate in Higher Education eligible list.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have masters or higher degree AND four years of professional administrative or educational experience in the United States in a college, university, post-secondary, or higher education agency, a cultural institution with degree granting privileges; or a professional association having oversight, regulatory, or coordinative responsibility for higher or professional education. Two years of this experience must have been at a supervisory or higher level. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Higher Education when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Higher Education when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position requires 5% in-state travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by August 19, 2022 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-955/66359) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.