THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Higher Education, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Higher Education position in the Office of College and University Evaluation. This Office assesses the compliance of public, independent, and proprietary degree-granting institutions and the programs of study they offer with the standards of quality set forth in law, rule, and regulation. Under the general supervision of the Supervisor of Higher Education Programs, the Associate in Higher Education will be responsible for regulatory work associated with the authorization and approval of postsecondary degree-granting institutions in New York State. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Evaluate applications from organizations or out-of-state institutions seeking to establish a college, university, or credit -bearing program in New York State;
- Participate in the oversight of institutions with provisional degree-granting authority and out-of-state institutions approved to operate in New York State;
- Lead on-site reviews of degree-granting institutions, including assembling a team of peer reviewers, organizing the site-visit, interviewing administrators, faculty, and students and advising site visit teams and institutions;
- Prepare materials for consideration by the Board of Regents, including charter amendments, master plan amendments, regulatory decisions, and policy discussions;
- Create and update policies and procedures related to the authorization and approval of postsecondary degree-granting institutions, as needed;
- Participate in the development of Requests for Proposals and/or other procurements;
- Review and act on complaints made against degree-granting institutions operating in New York State;
- Assist in the review and evaluation of degree-programs newly proposed by New York State colleges and universities; and
- Perform special assignments to meet needs for analysis, research, and communications, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Higher Education.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Educational Planning and Evaluation OR Veterans Education Program Representative 3 AND have a master’s degree AND four years of professional academic administrative or professional educational experience in the United States in a college, university, post-secondary or higher education agency, a cultural institution with degree granting privileges, or professional association having oversight, regulatory, or coordinative responsibility for higher or professional education.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Associate in Higher Education if they are a current a New York State employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-24 or higher AND have standing on the Associate in Higher Education eligible list.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have masters or higher degree AND four years of professional administrative or educational experience in the United States in a college, university, post-secondary, or higher education agency, a cultural institution with degree granting privileges; or a professional association having oversight, regulatory, or coordinative responsibility for higher or professional education. Two years of this experience must have been at a supervisory or higher level. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Higher Education when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Higher Education when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 2, 2021 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-891/13684) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by NYSED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.