THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Education Research, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED’s) Office of Higher Education is seeking candidates for an Associate in Education Research position in the Office of Access, Equity and Community Engagement Services (OAECES). Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform in-depth meta-analyses of district, state-level academic, and Institutions of Higher Education data for high-stakes evaluation resulting in the creation of data tools, visualizations, automation of processes, and narrative analyses for high-stakes policy decisions with Department-wide implications and district performance;
- Design data collection, analysis, evaluation, and reporting for OAECES programs;
- Create and maintain business rules and other documentation related to data collection, data management plans, and reporting;
- Evaluate program areas including policy, procedures, legislation, objective, and cost effectiveness;
- Coordinate the processes of analyses, merging, and manipulation of large data sets to ensure validity, applicability, efficiency, and accuracy;
- Perform descriptive and multivariate statistical analyses of education data using computer software and prepare tables, graphs, fact sheets, and written reports summarizing research results;
- Analyze the effectiveness of educational programs at district schools and Institutions of Higher Education, including supports and interventions, by developing and examining data sets that include student achievement data, attendance trends, postsecondary variables and other related information;
- Provide reports including tables, visualizations, and written analysis of data for program staff;
- Research best practices to support the development, architecture, and maintenance of dashboard data systems for academic, graduation, enrollment, and post-graduation trends;
- Ensure that a high level of customer service is provided to all stakeholders in a timely manner;
- Explain new regulations and evaluation procedures, and provide general information to various stakeholders;
- Collaborate with multiple offices to create a uniform interpretation of data policy and implementation of data collection and analysis;
- Represent the Office of Higher Education on interagency workgroups that develop higher education data policy recommendations;
- Represent the Office of Higher Education and/or NYSED at higher education data, educational, opportunity, and career and technical education programs meetings, workshops, and conferences, as needed;
- Assist in the development and preparation of reports on educational opportunity and career and technical education programs to the Regents, Commissioner, Governor, and Legislature, as needed; and
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Education Research.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Associate in Education Research. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have:
Either 1. One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Education Research;
OR 2. A master’s degree AND four years of professional experience where your primary duty is research. Two years of this experience must have been involved primarily with research on educational issues or topics (bibliographic research is not acceptable).
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the Professional Educator Titles (Grade 22, 26, and 28), as indicated here: http://www.nysed.gov/hr/section-701-transfer-determinations-between-prof....
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
This will be a contingent-permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education Research when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of master’s degree will be required at the time of interview for all open competitive eligible list candidates. This position requires statewide travel (5% of assignment).
* Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 3, 2023 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-977/16771) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.