THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Education Improvement Services, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Education Improvement Services position in the Office of Accountability (OA). This Office oversees accountability of schools and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in New York State for student academic results and the use of Federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) funds. The OA works to close the achievement gap by identifying and supporting schools and LEAs. The incumbent of this position will provide critical support, in carrying out the work of the Field Support Services team, by supporting schools and districts identified through the NYSED accountability system. Duties for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participate in school improvement and support activities, including coordinating and conducting on-site needs assessments, supporting district and school improvement planning, and providing technical assistance and support for districts;
- Engage in, prepare, and facilitate professional development activities related to the pedagogy and school improvement;
- Provide technical assistance to internal and external stakeholders;
- Prepare written materials to assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures related to the various components of the Field Support Team;
- Participate, as appropriate, in review of grant applications; and
- Complete special assignments as directed.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Education Improvement Services.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the Professional Educator Titles (Grade 22, 26, and 28), as indicated here: http://www.nysed.gov/hr/section-701-transfer-determinations-between-prof....
55b/c Appointment: These positions are eligible for 55b/c designation and are subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a Master's degree AND either:
- Five years of professional experience in an education agency or organization working with elementary, middle or secondary schools in the provision of technical assistance or in the development or implementation of educational programs or educational grants; OR
- Possess a New York State permanent or professional certification in classroom teaching, administration and supervision, or school service AND five years of professional experience in a public school teaching common branch subjects in grades Pre-Kindergarten to 6 or teaching academic subjects (English, a language other than English, mathematics, science or social studies) in grades 7-12; OR five years of professional experience working with students in the areas of early childhood and parent education, guidance counseling, school social work, or attendance improvement/dropout prevention.
Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education Improvement Services when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Leadership experience at the school or district-level.
- Experience as an instructional coach.
- Sustained success as a classroom teacher, with a National Board Certification.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment or temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education Improvement Services when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require 50% statewide, overnight travel.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
Based on this position’s location, in addition to the listed base salary, this position also receives a $3,026 Annual Downstate Adjustment.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2292/61035) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.