THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Education Improvement Services, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for two (2) Associate in Education Improvement Services positions in the State Office for Religious and Independent Schools. This Office serves the needs of students in over 1,800 state-recognized nonpublic schools and provides on-site school visits, opportunities for curriculum improvement and professional development activities, provides technical assistance and support, and oversees federal and State aid functions for nonpublic schools. This Office incorporates the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) mandated Ombudsman to ensure compliance with the equitable services requirements of the federal law. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate the administration of educational programs and instructional services for nonpublic schools in the areas of curriculum and program development;
- Work with nonpublic school administrators to facilitate the integration of effective instructional practices, curriculum, and assessment into the school program;
- Initiate a technical assistance model with instructional services and targeted informational materials to support teachers, administrators, and parents;
- Develop and implement a professional development continuum regarding proven curriculum, best practices, ESSA, learning standards, resource guides, and new assessments;
- Support the implementation of the new substantial equivalence regulations;
- Review, analyze, and approve project work plans, budgets, and amendments to ensure compliance with federal and New York State nonpublic schools regulations;
- Coordinate and integrate with other New York State initiatives, regulations, and agencies;
- Organize nonpublic schools and community outreach and engagement activities and serve as liaison with nonpublic community organizations; and
- Implement and monitor educational grants to support nonpublic instructional programs.
Reassignment: Candidate must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Education Improvement Services.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
55b/c Appointment: These positions are eligible for 55b/c designation and are subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in any of the titles linked here: Section 70.1 Transfer Determinations Between Professional Educator Titles Grade 22, 26, and 28 | New York State Education Department (nysed.gov).
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have Master's degree AND:
Either 1. Four years of professional experience in an education agency or organization working with elementary, middle or secondary schools in the provision of technical assistance or in the development or implementation of educational programs or educational grants;
Or 2. Possess a New York State permanent or professional certification in classroom teaching, administration and supervision, or school service AND four years of professional experience in a public school teaching common branch subjects in grades Pre-Kindergarten to 6 or teaching academic subjects (English, a language other than English, mathematics, science or social studies) in grades 7-12; OR four years of professional experience working with students in the areas of early childhood and parent education, guidance counseling, school social work, or attendance improvement/dropout prevention.
Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education Improvement Services when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
These will be permanent or temporary provisional appointments. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education Improvement Services when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. 55b/c designation is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require overnight in-state travel (20% of assignment).
* Leads to a maximum salary of $114,393 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 6, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-958/61030 or OHE-959/63161) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.