THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Education Improvement Services, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Education Improvement Services position in the Office of Innovation and School Reform (OISR). This Office is responsible for oversight of implementation of Receivership law and Commissioner’s Regulations. This law establishes intervention authority for districts and the Department to turn around Struggling Schools through Receivership. This Office also oversees the implementation of School Improvement Grants. To hold districts and their schools accountable for school improvement, the OISR has designed a progress reporting and performance management process. They will continue to build a comprehensive system of support for school innovation and the turnaround of low achieving schools. The incumbent of this position will develop, conduct, support and review programs to help schools improve on educational services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as the primary liaison to assigned school districts;
- Review Receivership and low-performing schools’ quarterly or bi-annual reports, conduct performance review calls, and write follow-up reports;
- Act as the OISR lead in conducting site visits to school districts;
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to district and school staff;
- Arrange forums and other networking opportunities;
- Review and rate Requests for Proposals, Requests for Qualifications, and grant applications;
- Review and approve school budgets and amendments;
- Participate in meetings with the United States Department of Education and Department staff;
- Develop Power Points for webinars and presentations; and
- Complete special projects as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Education Improvement Services.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: If the eligible list has fewer than 3 acceptors, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or non-competitive 55b/c service as an Assistant in Education Improvement Services OR candidates must possess a master's degree AND
Either 1. Have four years of professional experience in an education agency or organization working with elementary, middle or secondary schools in the provision of technical assistance or in the development or implementation of educational programs or educational grants; OR
2. Possess a New York State permanent or professional certification in classroom teaching, administration and supervision, or school service AND four years of professional experience in a public school teaching common branch subjects in grades Pre-Kindergarten to 6 or teaching academic subjects (English, a language other than English, mathematics, science or social studies) in grades 7-12; OR four years of professional experience working with students in the areas of early childhood and parent education, guidance counseling, school social work, or attendance improvement/dropout prevention.
This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required. Regular overnight travel will be required.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 5, 2020 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-2001/05003) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.