THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Education Improvement Services, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Education Improvement Services position in the Office of Accountability (OA). This Office oversees accountability of schools and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in New York State for student academic results and the use of Federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) funds. The Office of Accountability works to close the achievement gap by identifying and supporting schools and LEAs that are low-performing, as well as those replicating the best practices of the State’s high performing and high progressing schools and districts. The Field Support team is responsible for organizing multi-day onsite diagnostic needs assessments for schools and districts identified as low-performing. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for activities supporting the implementation of the Diagnostic Tool for School and District Effectiveness (DTSDE) and other technical assistance initiatives. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Participate in activities to implement the DTSDE process and protocols;
• Coordinate and attend school and school district visits, as scheduled, per the approved ESEA waiver;
• Prepare notification letters and emails to schools and school district leaders regarding onsite reviews and submission of required documentation to NYSED;
• Complete tracking materials to communicate the status of each assigned school and school district visit;
• Engage in, prepare, and facilitate professional development activities related to the DTSDE process;
• Collaborate to support planning, implementation and evaluation of professional development activities sponsored by Office of Accountability and District Review Teams;
• Provide technical assistance to internal and external stakeholders;
• Track and input ratings for onsite school reviews and reports;
• Prepare written materials to assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures related to the various components of the School and District Review team;
• Maintain data on school reviews of Focus districts and Focus and Priority schools;
• Participate, as appropriate, in review of grant applications; and
• Complete special assignments, as needed.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Education Improvement Services.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Provisional Appointment: If the eligible list has fewer than 3 acceptors, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or non-competitive 55b/c service as an Assistant in Education Improvement Services OR candidates must possess a master's degree AND
Either 1. Have five years of professional experience in an education agency or organization working with elementary, middle or secondary schools in the provision of technical assistance or in the development or implementation of educational programs or educational grants; OR
2. Possess a New York State permanent or professional certification in classroom teaching, administration and supervision, or school service AND five years of professional experience in a public school teaching common branch subjects in grades Pre-Kindergarten to 6 or teaching academic subjects (English, a language other than English, mathematics, science or social studies) in grades 7-12; OR five years of professional experience working with students in the areas of early childhood and parent education, guidance counseling, school social work, or attendance improvement/dropout prevention.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You
must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Overnight travel is estimated to be 50% of the job duties.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
**Plus $3,026 annual Downstate location adjustment.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 26, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1843/63213) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.