THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities position in the Office of Special Education. The Office of Special Education works to promote educational equity and excellence for students with disabilities, oversees the implementation of federal and State laws and policies for students with disabilities, provides general supervision and monitoring of all public and private schools in New York State serving preschool and school-age students with disabilities, and provides technical assistance to parents and school districts. The incumbent of this position is responsible for activities to ensure Department compliance with the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Review federal and State laws and regulations as related to the education of students with disabilities;
• Develop policies that conform to federal and State statute and regulations;
• Collaborate with the Office of Counsel and other offices, as necessary, in preparing documents related to potential regulatory changes;
• Prepare materials, policy memoranda, Board of Regents items and guidance documents for parents, educators, administrators and other stakeholders;
• Provide technical assistance, as necessary, to parents, educators, administrators and stakeholders;
• Assist in activities related to the State Performance Plan and Annual Performance Report;
• Assist Special Education Quality Assurance Regional Offices and other Department offices with policy specific assistance; and
• Collaborate with other Department offices and State and local agencies to represent the needs of students with disabilities consistent with the key principles for improved practices in the “Blueprint for Improved Results for Students with Disabilities.”
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for Section 70.4 transfer to Associate in Education of Children with Disabilities if they have standing on the Civil Service eligible list for this title and are currently a New York State employee in a title allocated at Grade 24 or higher.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. This position requires frequent day travel with occasional overnight travel.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 26, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1813/48410) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.