THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Bilingual Education, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Bilingual Education position in the Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages (OBEWL). This Office provides guidance, technical assistance, and support to New York State Districts, Charter Schools, Religious and Independent Schools, educational organizations, and the public in the development of programs for English Language Learners (ELLs) and other Multilingual Learners (MLs) including World Language students. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide on-going leadership in the development of Regents policy and regulatory proposals;
- Provide direction, guidance, and technical assistance on State and federal law, regulation, policy, and practice to district and school personnel, professional associations, community-based organizations, parents, and others in areas that include instruction and support for all ELLs and MLs, including Students with Interrupted/Inconsistent Formal Education (SIFE), ELL students with disabilities, and immigrant students;
- Provide expert guidance and collaboration regarding the development of ELL educational resources and initiatives with the Regional Bilingual Education Resource Networks (RBERNs), NYSED offices, and statewide and national educational organizations;
- Plan and conduct on-site program monitoring visits, desk audits, and program reviews of schools, school districts, and charter schools; draft final reports, including recommendations to improve instruction;
- Develop, support, and provide professional development workshops to schools, school districts, charter schools, independent and religious schools, community-based organizations, and parents to provide content knowledge in the development of ELL and ML-related regulations, programs, and procedures;
- Collect, analyze, and maintain up-to-date program-related data and prepare required program reports;
- Prepare and review memoranda, instructional guides, and other resources related to legislation, regulations, and policy statements;
- Research and prepare Requests for Proposal (RFP), grant applications, amendments, Memorandums of Understanding, contracts, proposed regulatory and policy statements, and informational materials;
- Review and process grant applications submitted in response to Department RFP’s; collect and analyze data related to grant funding;
- Respond to daily written and oral inquiries, suggestions, and concerns from teachers and administrators, and
- Undertake special assignments, as directed by the Associate Commissioner.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Bilingual Education.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND New York State permanent or professional certification in Bilingual Education, Teacher of English as a Second Language, English to Speakers of Other Languages, or in classroom teaching with an extension in Bilingual Education AND four years of experience teaching in an education program for English Language Learners (ELL) in grades K-12. Two years of this experience may be in an administrative or supervisory capacity or teacher training program at a higher education institution, in the field of Bilingual Education or English as a Second Language.
This will be a permanent or temporary provisional appointment. This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Bilingual Education when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
*Leads to maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
** In addition to the listed base salary, this position receives a $3,026 annual Downstate location adjustment.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. You must include the Box number (P12-2097) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.