THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Bilingual Education, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department's Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Bilingual Education position in the Office of Early Learning (OEL). This Office provides oversight and technical support to school districts in the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and policies related to educating students in Prekindergarten to Third Grade that are aligned with the NYS Board of Regents Early Childhood Policy. The Office works closely with parents, early care and education agencies, schools, state agencies and community advocates to coordinate programs and resources, with the goal of making New York’s early learning system as comprehensive and seamless as possible. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide direction and support for statewide policies and programs related to best practices for Prekindergarten through Third Grade, including practices related to the education of children whose home language is other than English;
- Support school districts to promote high quality programs, Prekindergarten through Third Grade, including the provision of technical assistance to early education program providers on program development, implementation, and evaluation, with a focus on serving Emergent Multilingual Learners (EMLL) and English Language Learners (ELL);
- Conduct program monitoring, including site visits and desk reviews of all State-funded Prekindergarten programs administered by OEL, particularly focusing on school districts that have high number of ELLs;
- Prepare and review memoranda, instructional guides, and other resources related to legislation, regulations, and policy statements;
- Review research, analyze related data, and write reports to inform the development of policies and guidelines related to early childhood education, including the education of EMLLs and ELLs;
- Communicate with early learning providers, school districts, parents, and other stakeholders by phone, email, and letter; and
- Develop and present workshops on program quality, program requirements, and fiscal requirements.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Bilingual Education.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Associate in Bilingual Education. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master's degree AND New York State permanent or professional certification in Bilingual Education, Teacher of English as a Second Language, English to Speakers of Other Languages, or in classroom teaching with an extension in Bilingual Education AND four years of experience teaching in an education program for English Language Learners (ELL) in grades K-12. Two years of this experience may be in an administrative or supervisory capacity or teacher training program at a higher education institution, in the field of Bilingual Education or English as a Second Language.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification will be required for all candidates at time of interview. This position requires statewide travel (20% of assignment).
*Leads to maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by April 6, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-768/20456) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.