THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate in Bilingual Education, Grade 26 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Bilingual Education in the Office of Special Education. This Office works to promote educational equity and excellence for students with disabilities, oversees the implementation of federal and State laws and policies for students with disabilities, provides general supervision and monitoring of all public and private schools in New York State serving preschool and school-age students with disabilities, and provides technical assistance to parents and school districts. The incumbent of this position will work in the Program Development and Support Services Unit. This Unit is responsible for management of professional development and technical assistance contracts and grants, developed to improve outcomes for students with disabilities. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Act as a liaison between the NYSED Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages and the Office of Special Education in the development and review of guidance, policies and procedures and make recommendations for amendments to legislation and regulations to support outcomes for students with disabilities who are also English Language Learners/Multilingual Learners;
• Manage projects designed to address the shortage of special education teachers with certification in teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and bilingual extensions to their current teaching certifications, bilingual teachers of the speech and hearing handicapped, and bilingual pupil personnel professionals;
• Manage a technical assistance center contract to provide online coursework and other supports needed to obtain initial or professional certification in teaching students with speech and language disabilities and licensure in Speech-Language Pathology for individuals who are committed to work in New York City public schools;
• Prepare materials, policy memoranda, Board of Regents items and guidance documents for parents, educators, administrators and other stakeholders as related to the needs of students with disabilities who are also English Language Learners/Multilingual Learners;
• Act as the Project Manager for the Regional Special Education Technical Assistance Support Center Bilingual Specialists, including facilitating meetings and conference calls, reviewing training materials, and arranging/planning professional development to support the skills of the Bilingual Specialists;
• Act as a liaison between the Office of Special Education and the Regional Bilingual Education Resource Networks;
• Plan and conduct workshops, and provide technical assistance as necessary, to parents, educators, administrators and stakeholders on topics related to the needs of students with disabilities who are also English Language Learners/Multilingual Learners; and
• Develop Requests for Proposals as needed, for contracts or grants to support improved outcomes for students with disabilities who are also English Language Learners/Multilingual Learners.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Bilingual Education.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Provisional Appointment: If the eligible list has fewer than 3 acceptors, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND New York State permanent or professional certification in Bilingual Education, Teacher of English as a Second Language, English to Speakers of Other Languages, or in classroom teaching with an extension in Bilingual Education AND five years of professional experience teaching in an education program for English Language Learners (ELL) and/or students with limited English proficiency in grades K-12. Two years of the five years of experience may be in an administrative or supervisory capacity in the field of Bilingual Education or English as a Second Language. A Ph.D. in Education may be substituted for up to two years of teaching experience.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification will be required for all candidates at time of interview.
*Leads to maximum salary of $105,681 based on annual performance advances.
**Plus $3,026 annual Downstate location adjustment.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 28, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1838/40625) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.