THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Auditor, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Performance Improvement Management Services’ Office of Audit Services (OAS) is seeking applicants for an Associate Auditor position. The OAS is responsible for conducting audits of educational entities, including school districts, Boards of Cooperative Educational Services, not-for-profit organizations, and other institutions located throughout the State. The OAS also conducts internal audits of NYSED programs, functions, activities, and internal controls. The incumbent of this position will function as the auditor-in-charge of internal audit assignments. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform internal audits to advise management whether established policies, practices, and procedures are effectively and efficiently executed, to determine that assets and resources are efficiently utilized and adequately safeguarded, and to ensure that adequate internal controls exist and function properly;
- Supervise and assign staff to specific audit tasks, and providing relative training to audit staff where necessary;
- Advise the internal audit team of potential audit risks, techniques, and approaches to be used during audits;
- Prepare specific internal audit plans indicating the scope of the audit, audit objectives, staffing requirements, and estimated time, including target dates, required for the audit;
- Prepare detailed audit programs showing how audit plans will be accomplished, and assign staff to perform segments of the program;
- Conduct opening conferences with auditee’s representatives to describe the nature of the audits that will be conducted and to establish the audit protocols;
- Meet with representatives of the auditee to summarize audit findings;
- Review audit working papers and reports for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with audit plans and programs;
- Inform the Principal Internal Auditor of audit progress;
- Prepare or direct the preparation of findings reports;
- Initiate follow-ups to determine that recommended corrective action has been taken and is effective;
- Prepare audit reports that are well organized, concise, contain reviews and appraisals of existing operating practices, and recommend appropriate improvements where necessary;
- Work with NYSED’s Internal Control Officer in carrying out the responsibilities of maintaining a system of internal controls, including completion of the New York State Comptroller’s Internal Control Certification;
- Oversee the maintenance and daily activities of the Fraud Waste and Abuse hotline database; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Auditor.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Associate Auditor. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for Associate Auditor, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-21 or above deemed eligible to transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also possess 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation courses to qualify for transfer. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require overnight travel up to 10% of the time.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by June 27, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred.) You must include the Box number (PIMS-382/00811) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.