THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Auditor, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions is seeking candidates to fill an Associate Auditor position in the State Board Office for Public Accountancy and Certified Shorthand Reporting, and Peer Review Oversight Committee. This State Board Office oversees the licensing matters of Certified Public Accountants and Certified Shorthand Reporters and the registration of public accounting firms and continuing professional education sponsors. In conjunction with the Executive Secretary, the incumbent will assist the Peer Review Oversight Committee in monitoring the peer review program in New York and will work closely with the State Boards, Peer Review Oversight Committee and the Office of Professional Discipline (OPD) to further investigate those firms and individuals identified as potentially being in violation of statutes, rules or regulations. Other duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Function as the lead auditor of peer review reports submitted to the Office by registered public accounting firms and establish the scope of work necessary to determine compliance with the mandatory peer review program and firm registration, including the accuracy and timely submission of the required documents and peer review reports;
- Function as the lead for compliance initiatives for the Office to ensure compliance of continuing professional education for licensees;
- Determine scope of practice for licensees for individual licensing and registration purposes;
- Conduct compliance audits of certified public accountants’ registrations; and compliance audits of firm registrations;
- Review peer review reports that include negative findings and forward to OPD for investigation, as appropriate;
- Contact firms as needed for clarification and obtain additional information to determine compliance with laws, rules and regulations; initiate investigations based on findings as appropriate;
- Assist the Peer Review Oversight Committee in their oversight of the mandatory peer review function;
- Evaluate compliance reviews of U.S. and State governmental listings that contains licensee and firm data;
- Oversee the Senior Auditor and other board office staff that support the board office operations;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge and understanding of all licensing requirements for the Public Accountancy and Shorthand Reporting professions; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Auditor.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate Auditor Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Preference may be given to candidates who hold a Certified Public Accountant license.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. In-state travel is required and is estimated to be approximately 5% of the job duties.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 7, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1197/20617) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.