THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Attorney, Grade 28 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department is seeking candidates for an Associate Attorney position in the Office of State Review (OSR). The OSR assists the New York State Review Officer (SRO) in reviewing appealed decisions of impartial hearing officers concerning the identification, evaluation, program, or placement of children who have, or are suspected of having, an educational disability. Duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with the rapid screening and assignment of appeals to lower level attorneys tracking and reporting of cycle time, ensuring quality decisions consistent with federal and State laws, and litigation matters;
- Assist lower level attorneys in preparing written draft decisions for highly complex cases;
- Review and edit draft decisions for accuracy, thoroughness, consistency, and quality within designated time lines;
- Provide constructive guidance to all of the OSR staff to convey and facilitate an understanding of the office mission;
- Assist in the defense of the decisions of the OSR by the Attorney General or other attorneys in federal and State court in precedent setting and frequently technically complex litigation;
- Maintain a high degree of expertise in special education law, legal research and legal writing;
- Make recommendations to SROs in a clear, concise and logical manner;
- Manage assignments to ensure timely completion of quality decisions; and
- Supervise lower level attorneys.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Attorney.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate Attorney Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-26 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law AND possess a Juris Doctorate degree AND be admitted to the Bar to practice law in New York State or in a state with Bar reciprocity. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Continued employment as an Associate Attorney is dependent upon maintaining current registration to practice law in New York State. Failure to maintain this registration will result in removal from employment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $116,844 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 21, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Email submissions preferred.) You must include the Box number (PIMS-496/00189) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.