THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Architect, Grade 27 (PEF)
(Open to current NYS Employees only)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate Architect position in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, fire safety and health in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. Under the direction of a Coordinator, School Facilities Services, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for review and approval of architectural construction documents for capital construction undertaken by public school districts and BOCES that require the approval of the Commissioner of Education as well as provide supervision to Office staff and workload management. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate and conduct reviews of preliminary project plans and specifications submitted by school districts prior to commencing with final documents;
- Perform final review of bid documents for compliance with the NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code as well as the code referenced standards, the Commissioner's health and safety standards and the Education Department's Manual of Planning Standards prior to the issuance of a building permit;
- Review and approve more complex Contract Change orders for previously approved projects to ensure compliance with the standards described above;
- Conduct field visits and inspections, as required, to provide on-site technical assistance and investigate code compliance, complaints or emergency conditions;
- Conduct presentations to constituent groups as directed to promote Department policies and programs.
- Respond to correspondence from parents, school administrators, legislators and the architectural and engineering community;
- Perform special assignments as directed ranging from research on technical subjects to responding to proposed legislation;
- Continue professional development to increase expertise in school architectural issues and to stay informed on developing industry trends and code revisions; and
- Provide supervision, training and management to subordinate staff architects and code compliance specialists to effectively manage the workload of the office.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Associate Architect. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Senior Architect, SG-24, AND possession of a New York State Professional Architects license and current registration. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Senior Architect when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a permanent competitive or temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate Architect when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of New York State Architect’s license and current registration will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess New York State Architect’s license and current registration at the time of hire. Continued employment as an Associate Architect is dependent upon maintaining New York State Architect’s license and current registration. Failure to maintain New York State Architect’s license and current registration will result in removal from employment. This position will require occasional (10%) in-state travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $111,316 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. You must include the Box number (OHE-852/04403) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.