THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Accountant, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Associate Accountant position in the Rate Setting Unit. This Unit is responsible for working with providers and constituents to facilitate the rate setting process and develop reimbursement rates for approved providers of special education programs for preschool and school age students with disabilities in accordance with Part 200 of the Commissioner’s Regulations. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Act as the Unit liaison for any fiscal audits of approved special education programs performed by various auditing entities (SED, other state agencies, municipalities);
- Process assigned providers’ financial statement submissions by pre-reviewing, correcting, editing errors, applying necessary adjustments, communicating with providers, reviewing calculated tuition rates, and tracking these processing stages;
- Provide technical assistance to the field about rate-setting, including details of a specific provider’s rate program calculations;
- Assist providers with questions concerning the Consolidated Fiscal Report document, Reimbursable Cost Manual, and other office policies and procedures and meet with providers as necessary;
- Review reconciliation tuition rate comments and waiver requests, gather and analyze supporting documents and prepare audits, if required, to be submitted to the Division of the Budget;
- Prepare denial letters, as required;
- Follow up on final audit reporting issues affecting subsequent tuition rates;
- Perform special analysis assignments;
- Coordinate projects or field trainings, as required; and
- Supervise and train Senior Accountants.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Accountant.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate Accountant Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Associate Accountant: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Transfer candidates must possess 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing, or taxation courses. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 21, 2019 to email@example.com (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (EXEC-11/00457) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.