THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Associate Accountant, Grade 23 (PEF)
(Open to Current NYS Employees Only)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking candidates for an Associate Accountant position in the Office of State Aid (OSA) to oversee the review of School District’s Annual Financial Report (ST-3). This Office is responsible for the calculation, payment, verification and projection of approximately $25 billion in State Aid funds annually distributed to school districts and Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) in support of elementary and secondary public education in New York State. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate the annual update of the school district’s ST-3 in conjunction with the Office of State Comptroller (OSC) and various internal NYSED units;
- Design and maintain the web-based State Aid Management System (SAMS) software program’s components responsible for the ST-3 financial data;
- Utilize SAMS to conduct and manage the annual review of the 700-school district’s ST-3 claim submissions, revisions and respond to district’s request for additional information as needed,
- Oversee SAMS data reporting for use in State Aid reporting, calculations and payments;
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to school district administrators and other agency staff regarding best practices in ST-3 reporting, State Aid requirements and claim submissions;
- Oversee the development and implementation of post-edit ST-3 claim verification projects;
- Develop and distribute required financial summary reports and data sets used by school districts, NYSED and other State agencies for the purposes of State and federal reporting;
- Respond to ad hoc data requests and requests for analysis of financial data;
- Assist in the development and implementation of training and informational material for school districts and BOCES to best navigate SAMS and related ST-3 reporting;
- Participate in the ongoing development and improvement to OSA business processes, assist in the re-engineering and enhancement of the SAMS system and;
- Supervise Senior Accountants and lower level clerical staff, as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate Accountant.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Associate Accountant Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Associate Accountant: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website
This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 1, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-410/53014) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.