THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
The New York State School for the Deaf
401 Turin Street, Rome, New York 13440
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Assistant Superintendent for Program Services, Grade 23 (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s School for the Deaf is seeking to fill an Assistant Superintendent for Program Services position. The incumbent will work under the direction of the Superintendent. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assume responsibilities of Superintendent in his/her absence;
- Supervise and evaluate staff as assigned by the Superintendent;
- Supervise after school programs including instructional and extra-curricular activities;
- Supervise the Multiple Disciplinary Team (MDT) to ensure that all student Individualized Education Programs are in compliance and implemented by instructional and program staff;
- Establish procedures and protocols to ensure compliance in relation to the Career Development and Occupational Studies Commencement Credential;
- Supervise after school programs, including instructional and extra-curricular activities;
- Collaborate with the Head of Department and instructional staff to develop a technology plan including curriculum, instruction, and replacement schedules;
- Serve as chairperson for the Committee on Special Education (CSE);
- Collaborate with CSEs and chairpersons from home school districts to ensure compliance and expectations of students and programs; and
- Collaborate with the leadership team to ensure compliance with the regulations, policies and expectations of the Office of Special Education and the State Education Department.
Candidates must have a Master’s degree or higher in the Education field; AND NYS certification as a School Administrator (SAS, SDA, SBL or SDL).
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
- Experience working with deaf students;
- Ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language;
- NYS certification in Special Education/Teacher of the Deaf;
- Experience supervising staff in an educational/residential setting; and
- Experience implementing New York State Learning Standards.
This will be a permanent appointment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts and New York State certification as a School Administrator will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Candidates are required to possess New York State certification as a School Administrator at the time of hire. Continued employment as a School Administrator is dependent upon maintaining New York State certification as a School Administrator. Candidates with an Initial New York State certification as a School Administrator will be required to obtain a Permanent New York State certification as a School Administrator prior to the expiration of the Initial New York State certification as a School Administrator. Failure to maintain a New York State certification as a School Administrator will result in removal from employment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $93,491 with annual performance advances.
Review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ROM-261/00002) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.