THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Instructional Services (SS 7-12), Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department's Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Instructional Services (Social Studies 7-12) position in the Office of State Assessment. This Office is responsible for the development of Regents Examinations as well as supplemental examination materials, support for administrative questions or concerns and technical assistance. Duties of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct activities related to the development of examinations, including convening and conducting exam review committees and key teacher-consultant committees;
- Assist with committee work and scoring sessions to provide content expertise in the development of State exams;
- Assist with the recruitment and training of teacher-consultants to write questions for assessments;
- Assist with the development and field testing of exams;
- Review and revise questions for field testing and work with the Content Advisory Panel (CAP) to address concerns;
- Assist with managing the work of contractors in the preparation and review of certain aspects of the development of Regents Examinations in Social Studies;
- Assist with the preparation and/or review of examinations, rubrics and supplementary test materials and monitoring their progress through the translation and printing stages;
- Assist with maintaining a pool of teacher-consultants to participate as needed in test development activities in Social Studies, including training, assigning, and reviewing the work of teacher-consultants to perform a wide range of test development tasks;
- Provide information and assistance related to assessment to NYS educators, school personnel, professional organizations, State and federal governmental agencies, the Content Advisory Panel for Social Studies, and the public; and
- Represent the Department at meetings and on projects related to NYS assessments, as needed.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Instructional Services (SS 7-12)
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to an Assistant in Instructional Services (SS 7-12) if they have standing on the Civil Service eligible list for this title and are currently a New York State employee in a title allocated at Grade 20 or higher.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service Eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $88,124 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 30, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1932/64209) of the position in the subject line of your cover letter and email to ensure receipt of your application.