THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity, Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity position within the Office of Postsecondary Access, Support and Success (OPASS). This Office is responsible for assisting students in the preparation for, access to, support during, and the successful completion of a postsecondary program, certificate or degree. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for assisting in the general administration of Department administered student support programs. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with monitoring grant-funded activities for compliance with the statutes, regulations and guidelines;
- Provide technical assistance to assigned secondary and postsecondary institutions through timely review of risk assessments, reports, site visits and daily communications;
- Assist with the coordination of the grant proposal review processes, and review award recommendations;
- Assist with reviewing program budget proposals, amendment requests and final budget documents;
- Assist with administrative and fiscal processes and procedures for NYSED administered student support programs with their supervisor, the OPASS Supervisor of Higher Education Programs, the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Higher Education, and other offices within NYSED;
- Assist in developing, maintaining and updating of program guidelines, interim and annual reports, and program evaluation and reporting forms and formats, as necessary;
- Assist with scheduling and conducting site visits of secondary and postsecondary institutions statewide, including remote locations;
- Assist with the administrative process to collect and analyze student performance data, with the objective of recommending program improvements on both the State and local project levels;
- Assist with the planning and coordinating of training workshops for and with local project personnel;
- Represent OPASS on interagency workgroups that develop State policy recommendations for integrating program legislative requirements with other student support related programs;
- Assist with the development and preparation of reports to the Board of Regents, Commissioner, Governor and Legislature, as appropriate; and
- Maintain familiarity with appropriate State legislation and regulations, conducting review and analysis of proposed legislation and regulations for recommendations to amend legislation and or regulations.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the titles linked here: Section 70.1 Transfer Determinations Between Professional Educator Titles Grade 22, 26, and 28.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity if they are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-20 or higher AND have standing on the Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity eligible list.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND two years of professional experience in an education program designed for secondary and/or post-secondary students who are educationally or economically disadvantaged, are members of a minority group, or are members of a group traditionally under-represented in the licensed professions. One year of this experience must include:
Either 1. Management responsibility in a comprehensive higher education program sponsored by or at an accredited college or university, a state or federal education department, or a not-for-profit agency that provides access to and support during the completion of a post-secondary program, certificate, or degree;
Or 2. Experience in evaluation or research related to the enrollment and retention of students who are educationally or economically disadvantaged, are members of a minority group, or are members of a group traditionally under-represented in the licensed professions.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Experience solely as a special education teacher or solely as a tutor for at-risk students is not qualifying.
This will be a permanent appointment or temporary provisional appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $95,392 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 5, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-979/16772) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.