THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity, Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking a candidate for an Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity position in the Office of Postsecondary Access, Support and Success (OPASS). This Office is responsible for assisting students in the preparation for, access to, and support of their efforts during the successful completion of a secondary program, postsecondary program, and degree. Under the direct supervision of an Associate in Higher Education Opportunity, the Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity is responsible for assisting in the general administration of Department administered student support programs. The incumbent of this position will assist in analyzing materials from postsecondary institutions, providing technical assistance, and evaluating the fiscal compliance of secondary and/or postsecondary institutions. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in scheduling and conducting site visits at assigned caseload of postsecondary institutions across the State, including remote locations;
- Monitor grant-funded activities for compliance with the statute, regulations and guidelines;
- Assist in providing technical assistance to assigned postsecondary institutions through timely review of risk assessments, reports, site visits and day-to-day communications;
- Assist in the coordination of the grant proposal review process and approve award recommendations, review and approve program budget proposals, amendment requests, and final budget documents, and the administrative process to collect and analyze student performance data with the objective of recommending program improvements on both the State and local project levels;
- Assist in the coordination of administrative and fiscal processes and procedures for NYSED administered student support programs in collaboration with their supervisor, the Director of OPASS, the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Higher Education, and other offices within NYSED;
- Assist in the planning and coordinating of training workshops for and with local project personnel;
- Represent the Office on interagency workgroups that develop State policy recommendations for integrating program legislative requirements with other student support related programs; and
- Maintain familiarity with appropriate State legislation and regulations, conducting review and analysis of proposed legislation and regulations to facilitate potential amendment recommendations.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity if they are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-20 or higher AND have standing on the Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity eligible list.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a Master’s or higher degree; AND two years of professional experience in an education program designed for secondary and/or post-secondary students who are educationally or economically disadvantaged, are members of a minority group, or are members of a group traditionally under-represented in the licensed professions.
One year of this experience MUST include:
Either 1. Management responsibility in a comprehensive higher education program sponsored by or at an accredited college or university, a state or federal education department, or a not-for-profit agency that provides access to and support during the completion of a post-secondary program, certificate, or degree;
Or 2. Experience in evaluation or research related to the enrollment and retention of students who are educationally or economically disadvantaged, are members of a minority group, or are members of a group traditionally under-represented in the licensed professions.
Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
This will be a contingent permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position requires 5% State-wide travel.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $88,124 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 23, 2021 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-859/42016) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.