THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity, Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for two Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity positions within the Office of Postsecondary Access, Support and Success (OPASS). This Office is responsible for assisting students in the preparation for, access to, support during, and the successful completion of a postsecondary program, certificate or degree. The incumbents of these positions will be responsible for assisting in the general administration of Department administered student support programs. Other duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with scheduling and conducting site visits of postsecondary institutions statewide, including remote locations;
- Assist with monitoring grant-funded activities for compliance with the statutes, regulations and guidelines;
- Provide technical assistance to assigned postsecondary institutions through timely review of risk assessments, reports, site visits and daily communications;
- Assist with the coordination of the grant proposal review processes, and review award recommendations;
- Assist with reviewing program budget proposals, amendment requests and final budget documents;
- Assist with administrative and fiscal processes and procedures for NYSED administered student support programs with their supervisor, the OPASS Director, the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Higher Education, and other offices within NYSED;
- Assist in developing, maintaining and updating of program guidelines, interim and annual reports, and program evaluation and reporting forms and formats, as necessary;
- Assist with the administrative process to collect and analyze student performance data, with the objective of recommending program improvements on both the State and local project levels;
- Assist with the planning and coordinating of training workshops for and with local project personnel;
- Represent OPASS on interagency workgroups that develop State policy recommendations for integrating program legislative requirements with other student support related programs;
- Assist with the development and preparation of reports to the Board of Regents, Commissioner, Governor and Legislature, as appropriate; and
- Maintain familiarity with appropriate State legislation and regulations, conducting review and analysis of proposed legislation and regulations for recommendations to amend legislation and or regulations.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity if they are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-20 or higher AND have standing on the Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity eligible list.
55 b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55 b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55 b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND two years of professional experience in an education program designed for secondary and/or post-secondary students who are educationally or economically disadvantaged, are members of a minority group, or are members of a group traditionally under-represented in the licensed professions. One year of this experience must include:
Either 1. Management responsibility in a comprehensive higher education program sponsored by or at an accredited college or university, a state or federal education department, or a not-for-profit agency that provides access to and support during the completion of a post-secondary program, certificate, or degree;
Or 2. Experience in evaluation or research related to the enrollment and retention of students who are educationally or economically disadvantaged, are members of a minority group, or are members of a group traditionally under-represented in the licensed professions.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Experience solely as a special education teacher or solely as a tutor for at-risk students is not qualifying.
These will be contingent permanent appointments or temporary provisional appointments. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant in Higher Education Opportunity when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $88,124 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 22, 2021 to OHEjobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-846/14052, OHE-847/14056) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. In order to qualify for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by SED Personnel for your social security number to confirm your State employment history.