THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Engineer (Mechanical), Grade 20 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for two Assistant Engineer (Mechanical) positions in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, and health safety in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. Under the supervision of higher-level engineers, the incumbents of these positions will perform professional engineering work to support the review and inspection of capital construction projects. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist with engineering review of capital construction projects for all New York State public school districts outside of New York City;
- Perform on-site inspections of the mechanical and electrical installations of capital construction projects to ensure that plans, specifications, and contracts are in compliance with applicable codes, rules, and regulations, including, but not limited to, Commissioner’s Regulations, General Municipal Law, Americans with Disabilities Act, life safety code, safety regulations, etc.;
- Prepare written reports on project revisions and corrections, notify consulting licensed design professionals of project revisions and corrections and monitor for revisions, corrections and/or change orders, as applicable;
- Review change orders for compliance with codes, rules and regulations, and eligibility for building aid;
- Assist with review of public school building energy consumption and operations in compliance with NYS Energy Code and provide direction to improve energy performance;
- Provide technical assistance to school districts regarding proper facilities maintenance, life safety, building code compliance, policy issues (i.e. green cleaning chemicals, pesticide use, carbon monoxide detection compliance, ADA compliance), photovoltaic systems installations, health and safety issues (i.e. indoor air quality problems, lead in water or paint, mold, PCB’s, chemical storage, pool drains, asbestos and radon); and
- Perform special projects as assigned.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant Engineer (Mechanical).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Assistant Engineer (Mechanical). If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant Engineer with one of the following parenthetical title designations: Mechanical, Mechanical/HVAC, Electrical, Civil, Civil/Construction, Civil/Geotechnical, Civil/Structural, Civil/Transportation, Environmental, Fire Protection, Chemical, or Gas Pipeline Safety.
These will be permanent appointments. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and proof of passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position requires overnight statewide travel 5% of the time.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $79,577 based on annual performance advances.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 5, 2019 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-703) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.